Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Full Life

If you live your whole life and have one good story to tell, you've lived a full life. Clifford Ray has two great ones.

Ray who played center for the Bulls and Warriors in the 1970s once saved a dolphin. In 1978, at Marine World a bottlenose dolphin named "Mr. Spock" swallowed a sharp screw. The veterinarian couldn't reach far enough into the dolphin to extract the screw. When he said out of frustration that he needed longer arms, someone though to call Clifford Ray. Ray who is a huge dude was able to reach far enough into the dolphin to extract the screw before it did any damage and without the risk of surgery to remove it.
The world's tallest man in China did something similar more recently.

But that's not my favorite story about Clifford Ray. While he was assistant coach with the Nets he told Jayson Williams this story, which was published in Williams' book and may not have happened exactly this way, but it's still very funny.


"He told me one time he was doing this woman and he had her in the bathroom of his hotel room. He said, "I was doing her from behind. I had one foot in the toilet bowl and I had the other foot in the bathtub and I was flicking on and off the lights and flushing the toilet".
When he's telling me this, I'm thinking, What the hell?
He said, "That was my action of thunder, lightning, and rain."

No comments: