Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Idol Chatter

Melinda's first song was the first time I ever really disliked her. She did seem like a 40 year old woman doing dinner theater on the Upper East Side.

I also hated Blake's version of "You Should Be Dancing." He way overdid it with the beatboxing. Every "yeah" was turned into a "yea-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah." And the other part with his right hand like he was scratching a record. It sucked. And his hair looked horrible. He couldn't decided between blond and brown so he went with both.

LaKisha on "Staying Alive" was pretty interesting. Simon was right that she was shouting and she has the tendency to do. Also it seemed like Gibb told her to sing higher, but she stuck with lower range anyway. I guess I never thought about the lyrics to this song but they make no sense. What is the New York Times effect?

Jordin was the first good performance. She chose a song that was less disco so it was a little easier for her to fit it into her style.

Same thing with Melinda's second song. Like Jordin's "You Don't Know What It's Like," "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" has been sung 1000 times but I enjoyed her version, she always sings well even when she's seeming too old for her age. I liked the little anecdote about her not wanting to sing the line about being a loser.

I never heard Blake's second song before but I really liked it. That's the type of song I could see him covering and having a big hit with. Although whether he wins or not I'm pretty sure his first single will be an original and his second song will be his version of "You Give Love a Bad Name." This time he couldn't decide between a sweater, a sweater vest and a shortsleeve shirt so his sweater had one short sleeve and no sleeve at all on the other arm. I think he tried very hard early in the season to not beatbox in every song but now he's done it a few weeks in a row, probably because he thinks that's what he has to set him apart.

LaKisha's second song was pretty unremarkable. And she is going home this week.

Jordin's second song was good but nothing special.

Judge Judy is a ham. She stole the spotlight from Simon's mum.

Why were they so rushed this week?

No comments: