Monday, October 15, 2012

Show Me the Idiots

During the Ravens-Patriots game on Sunday Night Football earlier this season those of us watching on TV were treated to an awkward interruption. An idiot (not technically a streaker) ran on the field. Networks have a policy not to show people who violate city ordinances by running on the field. So instead they showed us an overhead shot of the stadium. While we listened to Al Michaels describe the action.
Why not just show us the morons? The network's job when covering the game is to show the viewer what's happening. It is not to police fan behavior. And I wonder what would do more to discourage fan interference in the future, lack of television exposure, or public shaming?
I really don't like networks that tell me what I'm supposed to want to see, just show me what's going on.

No comments: