Friday, June 13, 2008

Proving His Point

Earlier this year I wrote about Milton Bradley Syndrome, where I suggested that Bradley was actually overrated because every time a story about his bad behavior was told, the qualifier was that he'd be such a great player if he could control his emotions.
This year, Bradley was starting to prove me wrong by hitting like one of the best players in baseball.
So on Wednesday he decided to prove the Kansas City Royals play-by-play announcer right.
Bradley who was DHing that day happened to be in the clubhouse and heard these comments from Ryan Lefebvre.



Now I agree with everything Lefebvre said, but Bradley was so mad that he decided to prove Lefebvre's point.
After the game, at least he waited until after the game, he stormed up four flights of stairs to meet Lefebvre, but was stopped by Rangers GM Jon Daniels who had to chase him up the steps.
Bradley's point is that Lefebvre never met him so he shouldn't be talking about his personality like that. That's a fair point in general but that wouldn't have proven anything because Lefebvre was only talking about his outbursts of temper, not his day to day behavior.

Even worse about this is that the Rangers are excusing Bradley's actions, probably because they don't want to make him angry (you wouldn't like him when he's angry).

Daniels said: "It's a situation you want to avoid, but I don't see where disciplinary action is warranted. I was there the whole time. There was no aggressive action. There was no foul action, nothing of the sort. We move on."

Rangers President Nolan Ryan said: "we're disappointed that things were said that upset Milton. From my observations since spring training, he is really trying to change the part of his life that has plagued him during his career. We're very supportive of that, and we feel as if he's made great strides. It's an incident that came up, and I think it was handled properly. Milton was upset and disappointed about it, but I'd like to think this is behind us and we'll move on."

If Bradley is trying to change, then why didn't he try for once ignoring something or someone he didn't like.

So he said you have no self-control. So an umpire said you were a piece of shit. So a fan threw a bottle at you. That's no reason or excuse to act like that.

I actually feel badly for Bradley. I'd hate to go through my life where everything bad someone said about me or did to me, caused me to break into a violent rage.

No comments: