Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Talk Amongst Yourselves, I'll Pick the Topic

Few topics seem to generate as much feedback around these parts as MMA does.
So let me pose a question that should spark some debate:
Who among Anderson Silva, Rashad Evans or Brock Lesnar will be the first (and last) to lose a match?
Silva is the best fighter in the world right now, Evans has never lost and Lesnar is just a beast.
I think Evans will be the first to lose. Even though he already has 8 wins in the UFC there are some holes in his game, specifically, he's never even tried a submission. Plus there are some really good contenders in the 205 division including Rampage Jackson and maybe even Anderson Silva moving up for a superfight (too bad UFC doesn't have catch weights).
I think Lesnar is an absolute monster who should tear through the heavyweight division, I think it's possible (but not likely) that someone could eventually be able to catch him in some kind of submission (though I doubt it would be a choke because I don't think anyone has arms long enough to wrap around his neck).
That leaves me with Anderson Silva. I don't see any way someone can beat this guy. He's got 8 straight wins in the UFC and hasn't lost in 3 years, and that was a disqualification. Plus, Silva seems kind of bored with UFC and may retire after just a couple more fights, even though he supposedly has 6 fights left on his contract.
So I predict Evans gets in one maybe two title defense before he loses.
Lesnar wins about 6 or 8 fights before someone catches him.
And Silva fights 4 more times and retires without ever losing again.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Lesnar has already lost, to Frank Mir, via a surprise heel hook after Lesnar beat the crap out of him for 4 minutes.

Scott said...

I may have misread that... anyway, I say Evans goes down first, but Silva could conceivably lose a superfight with one of the big name 205ers should he try to move up in weight again.

We're due for middleweights on the Ultimate Fighter too... maybe someone will step up from that show that can beat Silva.

Anonymous said...

The only guy currently IN the UFC that I see potentially taking down Lesnar, is this guy Shane Carwin who's 10-0. But of course, complete speculation. He's almost as big as Lesnar, and has lots of wins via submission. I don't even think he's made it out of the undercard circuit yet, but I bet that's coming in 2009. Besides him, I give Chieck Kongo a 10% chance, just because he's been improving, and has the ability to actually use his ripped 240 lbs to crack Lesnar in the face, which hasn't happened yet. Couture and Noguiera are too old, Mir got him when he was too green, and Gonzaga just doesn't have enough.

Doing the same quick analysis on the light heavy's is basically impossible. Soo many good fighters. Off the top of my head, I think Rampage is a good matchup against Rashad, because he actually has very good defense against punchers these days, and lost to Griffin essentially because of low leg kicks...which aren't as much of a threat from Evans. I think Chuck and Wanderlei are both old, and just about done all together. Brandon Vera is a little too soft and Luiz Cane is still a little unproven in my eyes. So that leaves maaaybe Rich Franklin, who's basically really good against everyone in the world except Anderson Silva....or maybe...my real guess...Lyoto Machida. He's so damn elusive he barely gets touched in his fights, but can bring the pain in a big way when needed. I wish they would pump this guy more...although never getting touched may not be good for the fan appeal.

Anderson Silva will not lose to any middleweight. He's a freak, and way too experienced at this point. Unless he gets so bored that he decides to fight without training at all, I really think he might win to finish out his contract, then retire. I think he actually has that mind set to step out on top...and not fade out like everyone else who couldn't stop. If anyone does beat him, it'll be a jiu-jitsu guy...but I really can't say who. By the way, this is a great video showing highlights of one of Anderson Silva's earlier losses...by the most insane submission ever: watch

And for no reason other than I love Randy Couture...and I love man on woman violence (I kid):
So good

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't even answer the question. Rashad will lose first....Silva will lose never.