Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why I Was Detained By Secret Service

de·tain [dih-teyn] verb (used with object)
1. to keep from proceeding; keep waiting; delay.

As I was leaving work today I was stopped in the elevator bank by a very serious looking man in a suit. He said "just one minute sir, stay there," and he stood in front of me to impede if I were to disobey his request.
I noticed five men in suits walking formation around another man, Mitt Romney. They walked off the elevator and to the door at the other end of the vestibule. Then another elevator opened and four more people stepped off and followed the group into the main area of the floor.
When they were all through the door, the Secret Service agent (I think half were Secret Service, the other half regular building security) thanked me and allowed me to continue.
On the other side, the door through which the group entered the floor, was a co-worker of mine who was similarly stopped from proceeding to the elevators.
Kind of excessive if you ask me, especially because President Obama was freely shaking hands and kissing babies at the NCAA tournament game last night without any visible sign of protection.
But regardless, I think it's a pretty cool story to tell about the time I was detained by Secret Service.

1 comment:

Damino said...

That's cool. Honestly I'd rather err on the side of caution with Secret Service. Politics completely aside, there are plenty of nuts who'd probably like to kill Romney or Obama, and we don't need that happening in our country.