Monday, April 16, 2012

Cryin Wolf

There is real racism in this country. There are stereotypes that diminish groups and hurt feelings. Say black people like fried chicken is not one of them. Jewish people traditionally eat matzo ball soup. Italians enjoy pasta. Japanese people eat sushi. Black people eat soul food, including fried chicken and collard greens.
So why are people upset about this Burger King ad starring Mary J Blige.



Evidently to some this commercial reinforces the harmful stgereotypes that black people like to sing and dance and eat fried chicken. Blige says she thought the ad was going to be a dream sequence. Not sure how that would change it. And not sure why she agreed to sing those lyrics if they were so hurtful.

3 comments:

jleary said...

I have heard the same thing about the Golden Corral commercial where the black couple jumps out of the car of the the white couple. But they didnt pull that one...yet. It is so crazy what people get in a frenzy about.

Bill said...

Good point J
The real outrage should be that the commercial is just awful.

Jems said...

I said the same thing to Paul about the Golden Corral commercial! First time I saw it I said to myself "Uh oh, this one is going to cause a stir." I even googled the commercial to see if there was any reaction. Sure enough, as I began to type "Golden Corral" google began to auto complete "racist commercial."

I agree with everything said in this post.