Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Behind the Numbers

I love looking at exit polls to see which groups and topics that haven't gotten much attention are interesting.

First, the Jews: 69% to Obama, 30% for Romney. Jews make up only 2% of the entire vote.

93% of blacks voted for Obama. Down slightly from 2008. They were 13% of the total vote.

Gays made up 5% of the vote. More than twice as many gays as Jews. And I'm sure there were plenty of gay Jews. Anyway, 76% voted for Obama, 22% for Romney. That surprises me. Nearly one in four gay people went for Romney. That tells me two things: they are not single issue voters, and they realize that even if Obama says he thinks gay marriage should be legal, he hasn't addressed it in his policies for four years. So if neither candidate wants to make gay marriage legal, might as well find another issue to decide on.

Young people (under 30) voted for Obama by a 60 to 37 margin. Unmarried women went to Obama 67 to 31. If we're going to pay for their birth control I at least hope the sluts put out.

38% think Barack Obama is most to blame for the current economy. 53% say George W. Bush is most to blame.

18% of voters say their household contains a union member. And those voters went to Obama by a margin of 58-40. Surprised so many union households went to Romney actually

Here's the scariest number to me. 15% said response to Hurricane Sandy was the most important issue to them. Those voters went for Obama 73 to 26. I think the media, and Chris Christie may have given the President an assist there. While early response seemed to be good, FEMA predictably failed to provide strong assistance as the days wore on.

And the most upsetting number: only 60% of voters have a full-time job. The full-time jobbers were split 49-49. Those part-timers and unemployed went for Obama 53-45, giving some credence to the joke that Obama would be in the lead until Republicans got off of work.

5 comments:

Damino said...

Didn't Rush Limbaugh say something very similar about women and birth control? Just saying.

Paul said...

But when I said it I was joking.

Damino said...

Just checking. The numbers are very interesting. I don't think it's fair to blame Chris Christie. He was just speaking honestly about the fact that he thought Obama was doing a good job with the hurricane. That's Christie's nature, for better or worse. He was a huge help (no pun intended) to the Romney campaign all along, so I think on balance he did alot more good for the GOP than for the Democrats.

Paul said...

Who's blaming Christie? I just pointed out that if so many people voted based on Sandy, and a vast majority of those people favored Obama, Christie may have helped him with those voters. No blame, no credit, just an observation.

I admire that he said the President was doing a good job. We need more politicians who just tell the truth as they see it without fear of political reprisal.

It's why I want to see Christie run against Hillary in 2016.

Damino said...

I don't think you were blaming Christie. I was responding to the noise I heard from GOP types unfairly scapegoating him. Apparently he called Obama to congratulate him on winning and emailed Romney. I really don't see why that makes him any type of traitor, but what do I know?

I'd like to see Christie run in 2016 and think he will. I'm not 100% sold that Hillary is going to run, but it's certainly possible if not likely.