Monday, December 10, 2012

Bad Rappers for $100 Alex

We know that the quality of rap music has gone downhill recently. So I hate pretty much everything that comes out nowadays (and gets major radio airplay). But of all the bad things I've heard, nothing bothers me more when rappers describe the colors of their cars with a description no one would ever use.

For instance, the horrible Nikki Minaj defiled the remix of one of my favorite songs (Hold You by Gyptian, Song of the Week, 5/19/10) with "Got a new Benz the color of bacon bits." What color are bacon bits? Would anyone ever get a car in that color?

I hate mayonnaise. Why would anyone want a car that color? Is it white, off-white. Makes me sick just thinking about it. So why would 2 Chainz say "coupe the color of mayonnaise" in "Mercy" by Kanye West.

I expect those things from people like Nikki Minaj and 2 Chainz. But I expected better from Jadakiss. He's a rapper from my generation. And he's actually quite good. Except for that "Made You Look" remix with Nas, when he said "comin through the hood in the Aston Vanquish the color of dandruff." At least I know that's white.

9 comments:

jleary said...

I know it makes us sound old to say it.... But, Rap was MUCH better back in our day

Damino said...

J we are old, so we might as well embrace it. And I totally agree about rap from the 90's.

jleary said...

No way,I am not embracing anything! I still look in my 20's and I won't admit I'm old until I don't anymore..though getting carded is much less frequent, so I guess that might be coming up soon

Damino said...

Ha, fair enough! A decade of stressful jobs working for law firms has made sure that I don't get carded any more, but if I still looked like a 20 something I'd totally roll with that. :)

Anonymous said...

jleary...i actually do not believe you are above 18 although I will check with Mrs Ratler

Paul said...

I appreciate any and all comments but I do wish they were focused on this awesome post. Completely original thought, well put together. This is why you read The Poop.

And JLeary looks like he's 17 months.

ton said...

Kanye actually started the mayonnaise thing with "Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips"...which is at least sorta clever (whips meaning cars), but I 100% agree with some kind of gross feeling associating mayonnaise with a color.

BTW, the color of dandruff, glad you pointed that one out. That lyric has always annoyed me.

Newsflash, 90% of rap is just bragging with whatever rhymes. We're probably pretty close to someone using "I'm ridin in my Benz, while I shit in my Depends"

Paul said...

Hysterical. This is why I pestered TON to make his every so often comments on the Poop.

Bill said...

late to the party.i love the jadah line. the rest, as well as rap today, are terrible.