Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Breaking Bad: "Granite State"

So are we really supposed to believe that Walt was about to give himself up? That was clearly the implication, I think, from the phone call and the calm drink order. He realized that he had lost even his most loyal ally (they even call him Flynn in school), and it hit home that the things he had done to help his family, had actually cost him his family.

But then the Grey Matter Charlie Rose interview changed everything. The exact same thing that forced Walt to tell Hank that Gale couldn't be Heisenberg, seemingly forced him to escape the bar, flee New Hampshire, the Granite State, and head back to Albuquerque with heavy artillery in his trunk, in order to get the ricin out of his outlet cover.

And who knows what happens after that. But let me throw out a couple theories:
1) I have thought all along that Walt was going to die of cancer. Is it possible that he somehow does kill the Nazis, get his money back, give it to his family and save Jesse? And then die of cancer before the Feds can catch him?

In TV and movies we like to see the good guy win in the end, but this show has always gone against that type. The hero is an anti-hero, a bad guy, and he's gotten worse as the series has gone on.

2) Walt tries to kill the Nazis, they capture him too and put him and Jesse to work cooking meth. The show ends just like it started.

Is Carmen too young and pretty to be a high school principal?

Did Todd really have to kill Andrea? What happened to Brock? Did he just wake up and find his mother dead on the porch? Todd hates kids. First Drew Sharp, now this. And he likes it. He was proud when they were all watching Jesse talk about how he killed Drew Sharp.

Robert Forster was a great choice for the vacuum guy wasn't he? That black market chemo was awesome, though I didn't even know that was possible.



How long do you think you could survive an existence like that? No TV, internet, phone, no contact with the outside world, can't leave the property. Looks like Walt did a few months. I think I could do a year before I turned into Jack Nicholson from "The Shining."

There's no way Jesse could have had the necessary upper-body strength to pull off that near escape after weeks in captivity.

Doesn't Walt have a little Marty McFly in him? His reaction to being doubted or diminished is the same way Marty reacted when anyone called him chicken. I guess it's a good plot device in both cases.

I really cannot wait to see the final episode, 75 minutes, just in case your DVR doesn't record automatically. I can't think about anything else. I wonder what happens, and how it happens. And I wonder what I will do with my time when it's over.

No comments: