Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Couldn't Happen To A Nicer Guy

Normally when people say "couldn't happen to a nicer guy" they mean it sarcastically. I don't. The following horrific story could not have happened to a nicer guy because none exist.

My former colleague Miles O'Brien suffered a freak injury when a case of TV equipment fell on his left forearm.

Here's what happened next, according to the post about the incident that Miles wrote on his blog:

"The doctor recommended an emergency fasciotomy to relieve the pressure. This is a gruesome enough procedure on its own, but the he was clear that the problem was progressing rapidly and there was a clear and present threat to my limb.
It was getting real. Of course I wasn’t awake for the action but I was told later that things tanked even further once I was on the table. And when I lost blood pressure during the surgery due to the complications of compartment syndrome, the doctor made a real-time call and amputated my arm just above the elbow. He later told me it all boiled down to a choice…between a life and a limb."


1 comment:

Bill said...

insane story