Sunday, September 07, 2014

Weekly Picks

It's time for another season of lousy picks. But since, I've pretty much stopped following the NFL except for the Redskins, I should probably do great this season.

NEW YORK JETS -4 1/2 oakland
The Raiders are starting a rookie quarterback in his first game, and even though I took a flier on Derek Carr as rookie of the year, I expect growing pains. Plus, the Jets love to get their fans' hopes up, before dashing them. This is a game they should win, and a modest spread.

cincinnati +1 1/2 BALTIMORE
About 2/3 of the time when an underdog covers the spread, it wins the game outright. So I like to pick underdogs I think can win the games. The Bengals are a really good team and this could be the year they break through in the playoffs. Also, the Ravens are without Ray Rice for this game (and 1 other), which could hurt their offense.

DALLAS +3 1/2 san francisco
This pick is based on nothing more than my feeling that this could be a very bad year for San Francisco. Every year some team is a colossal disappointment. I'm pinning that tab on the 49ers and Colin Kaepernick who doesn't seem to be developing the way everyone thought he would after that incredible Super Bowl season.

carolina +3 TAMPA BAY
Cam Newton is hurt, which I believe is the reason this spread moved so much during the week. But they also have a great defense and the ExpensiveCornPrices may be a little too optimistic if they expect Josh McCown to repeat the amazing performance he had last year as a fill-in for the Bears.

BEST BET
CHICAGO -7 buffalo

The Bears could have an awesome offense this year capable of putting a lot of points on the board. The Bills could stink to high heaven. I just worry about the 7-point spread.

No comments: