Saturday, May 20, 2006

Yankees 5 Mets 4

Kate and I attended the 2nd birthday party of her friend's son this afternoon. We left at about 1:30 so I was able to hear the first inning in the car.

By the time we arrived at the party the Yankees had made two errors allowing Reyes to get on, and advance to third. Then Beltran and Wright doubled and the Mets had a comfortable 2-0 lead.

The game was not on at the party but that was ok, because I had recorded it and would watch when I got home. I didn't want to be rude anyway, so I stayed outside eating and watching the kids play.

About an hour later I got a text message (I had Kate preview it). It was from Derek telling me that "I love you Johnny Cakes" was at the Mets game, wearing a Mets hat sitting in front of Brian Cashman. I checked the tape when I got home and it's true, Vito was sitting one row in front of Yankees GM Brian Cashman, wearing a Mets hat. The funny thing was, Fox didn't take notice of him. He happened to be sitting down as the shot went to Cashman, therefore getting his face on TV for a brief second.

I went inside to go to the bathroom and the hostess' brother had turn on the TV, and the score was now 3-0. He told me Delgado hit a homer. I still decided not to watch, it would be rude, and I thought the lead was comfortable with Pedro on the mound. I started making more frequent trips inside, watching the Yankees bat in the 7th, and 8th but skipping the Mets at bats.

When I came back inside for the top of the 9th it was 4-0. I won't go through the rest of the blow-by-blow account of what happened but needless to say I decided to sit down and watch the rest of the game, and as the Yankees crept closer the crowd grew.

Wagner didn't have it. Some times you just have a bad day, but he is having too many. He is definitely not as good as he was last year. And I no longer trust him to get a big save. In retrospect Willie definitely should not have taken out Sanchez. With a four run lead there was no need to. It left the Mets with no fallback plan. He also should have taken him out before Bernie Williams. Last night Willie left in Heilman for a third inning because he was pitching great. He should have done the same with Sanchez.

This game sums up what it's like to be a Mets fan. I was sitting there in the top of the 9th thinking that they would win, and have Glavine vs. Small tomorrow for a chance at the sweep. Was not to be. No matter how high the Mets take you as a fan, they will always knock you back down. That is what it's like to be a Mets fan.

Another great effort by Pedro wasted. In a stretch where the Mets are basically sacrificing 2 games out of every 5 they have to win every Pedro and Glavine start. They have lost the last 3 times Pedro pitched.

No comments: