Saturday, July 29, 2006

When Animals Attack

Yesterday while walking the park, about 100 feet or so from our front door, an angry boxer starting barking at Diesel. Diesel barked back but I was able to distract him. As we were walking past, the boxer slipped out of her collar and ran towards Diesel. She nipped at him a couple times, but I didn’t want to panic and start running because I thought that would only make it worse. I tried to keep walking at my pace and get the boxer away from him. The boxer’s owner was yelling frantically the whole time. “Fuckin Dog. I’m done. I’ve had it with this dog.” So I just keep walking and the boxer (Flash) finally calms down and her and Diesel begin sniffing each other as dogs do. So I get to my house, I let Diesel in and tell Kate that Diesel just got attacked. I go back outside and try to leash Flash and bring her back to her owner. Kate is watching me through the window as I unsuccessfully try to corral this beast. I couldn’t get her so I just started walking slowly back to where we first met. Flash followed me with no problems and her owner was there crying, saying “you are such a sweet man.” Then Kate came out with our other leash, thinking it might have been easier to slip over Flash's big boxer head. Flash’s owner said “you touched my heart.” So I tried to explain a few Dog Whisperer techniques to her. She said Flash is a great dog except when she’s on her leash and other dogs are around. I hope Diesel is not traumatized by this incident and maybe I tried too hard to remain calm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the Dog Whisperer not you.

D said...

Brody's usually calm and sometimes a panzy, unless another dog starts snapping at me or him. Then he goes apeshit and will throw down with another dog. Cool and scary at the same time as I have to try and control his unruly ass.