Thursday, March 08, 2007

Tournament Talk

Many of us thought Syracuse's win against Connecticut clinched a tournament bid. I say, not so fast. I believe the Big East will only get 7 teams this year.
Georgetown, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and Marquette are all locks. That leaves Villanova, Syracuse and West Virginia battling for two spots. Villanova is in because they have a very strong RPI. If they were somehow left out I believe they'd have the best RPI ever to miss the tournament. That leaves SU vs. WVU. I firmly believe the only way both teams make it is with wins today over Notre Dame and Louisville. I picked WVU over Louisville so I think SU may be left out in the cold if they don't pull it out against the Irish.
Before you go nuts...remember that SU has a horrible non-conference SOS (played zero tournament teams) and a pretty bad RPI by Big East standards.

No comments: