Thursday, February 28, 2008

Idol Chatter

This week of American Idol was even worse than last week. They keep saying this is the best talent ever, but they're not going to convince me. This is the worst group they've ever had, and this will probably be the year when the ratings drop off precipitously. There is no one really outstanding in this group.

A meek 17 year old boy is probably the only one right now I can see winning it. And although I thought it was good, David Archuleta's performance of "Imagine" was so incredibly boring I would have walked away if it hadn't still been better than everyone else.

The only other guy who was decent was David Hernandez, though I doubt many of today's teenyboppers really enjoyed his rendition of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone."

As for the girls, they were even worse. They picked the most horrible, boring, awful songs.

Even Syesha, who picked a great song, one of my favorites of all-time, did a horrible rendition of "Me and Mrs. Jones." Her version was too sweet and soft, when it's actually supposed to be pained and soulful. Listen to the original version by Billy Paul and you will see what I mean.

I wish the producers would step in and tell Simon to cut out his bullshit. He is constantly talking during the performances and even got caught with his mic up telling Paula he thought "You're So Vain" was about him. Then he got into his stupid inside jokes with Ryan. And I honestly believe the reason Paula always sounds so stupid (other than her meds) is because Simon is whispering in her ear when she tries to talk. [Except for "David, you are ridiculous. I wanted to squish you, squeeze your head off, and dangle you from my rear-view mirror." That was all Paula.] Those antics only amuse Simon, and annoy the shit out of everyone else.

The best part of either show was when David Cook said he likes big words and crossword puzzles.

Didn't Amanda Overmyer's hair make her look like King Tut? "Carry On My Wayward Son" is a great song for Guitar Hero but not great for American Idol. And really how you can top this performance (if you watch one video linked in this post, make it this one)?

Carly Smithson was probably the best girl but I just don't see a tattooed girl from Ireland who once had a major recording deal winning this contest. Right now I can't imagine anyone else but David Archuleta winning.

Who's going home: Robbie Carrico (Mrs. Poop says he wears a wig), Jason Yeager, Alexandrea Lushington, Amanda Overmyer

2 comments:

Brian said...

Going Home:

GUYS (sorta)
1) Luke Menard
2) Jason Yeager

GIRLS
1) Alaina Whitaker
2) Alexandrea Lushington

I'd throw Amanda Overmyer out in a second, but I think she's gonna slide through tonight..

Anonymous said...

Looks like Brian and Mr. Poop were both 3 for 4. Not too bad...

Amanda Overmyer's Elvira impression is getting old and her time is over next week along with Luke Menard....

This is.........AMERICAN IDOL