Saturday, April 05, 2008

Kansas Kills North Carolina

For the first 15 minutes of this game, in building a 40-12 lead, Kansas played perfect basketball, the best I've ever seen any team play. Seriously.

And they did it by out North Carolinaing North Carolina. They ran, they spread the floor, they shot it well, they forced turnovers. For 8 and a half minutes they held UNC to 2 points. That's just unbelievable.

Honestly, I can't even believe how well they played during that stretch.

But almost as quickly has they built the lead, they almost blew it.

Over a 14 minute stretch UNC went on a 38-14 run to cut the lead to 4. And in doing so they did everything that Kansas did to them during the first part of the game.

But then Kansas regained their mojo, they started hustling after loose balls again, and they started making shots.

I don't buy into the old adage that they expended too much energy on the comeback. I just think to put together a run like that you need a lot of luck, and eventually luck evens out.

Kansas has so many good players that none of them got All Big 12 honors, but they have so many good players that any of them can kill you at any time.

I'm disappointed that neither of these games were close but both of the teams that won (the underdogs according to me) are both awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing them play each other on Monday Night.

No comments: