Monday, May 26, 2008

Keith Rips Gary Carter

Willie Randolph's body isn't even cold yet and already the vultures are circling.
Gary Carter was asked on Sirius if he'd be interested in managing the Mets:

"Boy, I'll tell you what - I would love that, guys. When I saw that on ESPN today I got on the phone and I called Jay Horwitz and I asked Jay, 'Should I try to call Mr. Wilpon?' If there is this going on, I just want them to know of my availability. I'm only a phone call away, because my contract allows me to leave the ballclub. I could be in New York tomorrow, if necessary, because if there's anything at the major league level I can leave this job. The comments that David Wright made saying that, you know, there's no spark, there's no fire - if anything I would love to bring that to the table because you know me, guys, I love the game, have a great passion for it and you know my enthusiasm."

For the record, Horwitz said he told Carter "now's not the time to be making those inquiries."

Carter than backed off saying he was just answering the question. And that's true, his answer would have been perfectly appropriate, except for the part when he called Jay Horwitz. That didn't have anything to do with the question. That's the part that makes him seem like a vulture.

When Gary Cohen ripped Carter for his remarks during Sunday's game, Carter's former teammate jumped on the bandwagon.

"I have great respect for Gary as a player," said Keith Hernandez "He's a Hall of Famer. When Johnny Bench left the game, he was the premier catcher in the National League. But, that being said, and I've kept quiet for such a long time, but for the people out there listening, just go in the dictionary and look up 'unconscious' and you'll find a picture of Gary Carter. I know that's strong, but it just happens too many times and it's just, you're walking around unconscious."

I'm not quite sure why he chose unconscious, it wasn't the best word to get his point across, but I think he was trying to find a nice way of saying "selfish." I think he meant that Carter doesn't see anyone else but himself.

And it is widely known that most of the guys on the 86 Mets hated Gary Carter for his self-promoting ways. He was a straight arrow on that team of thugs and he was ostracized for always being available to the media, to the point that his teammates called him Camera Carter.

No comments: