Monday, July 07, 2008

Taken to the Cleaners

There are certain things in life that you don't mind paying a lot of money for. Then there are other things, that cost way less in dollars, but for some reason irritate you a lot more. The most overpriced thing in the world as far as I'm concerned is dry cleaning.

I just dropped off my tuxedo at the cleaners, and they charged me $14.70 to launder it.

That seems outrageous to me.

I'm sure at this point I've spent more money cleaning the tux, than I did buying it.

It might be more cost effective for me to buy a tux, wear it 6 or 8 times, then throw it away and get a brand new one.

Why does dry cleaning cost so much? Does anyone else think that's an exorbitant sum to pay someone to do your laundry?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dry Cleaning costs so much because the dry cleaning business is not a true market system. That is all I will say on this subject at this time.

Anonymous said...

They rob you blind. And they fucking smile every time they rob you. Mrs. Nails won't let me talk about it anymore because I have gone on for years how much they have stolen from Tali's college tuition to clean my fucking cheesesteak stained pants.

Paul said...

You would think that with a dry cleaner on every other corner this is one service where market forces would be at work to constrain prices.
I do think I could have saved a couple bucks by taking my tuxedo to the guy across the street but the cleaners I use is better because they have an ATM machine where you can get your clothes after hours by inserting your card. Your clothes are then brought to the front by an automated rack. Then you slide the small glass door and pick up your items.
Also the more expensive cleaner is supposedly more environmentally friendly, it smells nicer and its employees all speak clear, unaccented English.
So that's why I go to the upscale cleaner and pay $8 too much instead of just $6 too much.

Anonymous said...

It is not a market system because certain of those wholesale cleaners and others in the business force those that they don't approve of out of business by various tactics including but not limited to delivering laundered shirts late to certain business they would like to see close. Additionally there is a great deal of collusion among members or "dry cleaner organizations." Without being connected in the business, you cannot make lots of money. In the end the only way to offer lower prices is for the owner of the dry cleaners to do most of the work themselves and make very little money. Perhaps the state attorney general should start an investigation into RICO violations.

Anonymous said...

What is more aggravating is that they can rip an item of clothing to near shreds and claim that it was not them who damaged it. Impossible they say.. Do they really think I would not notice that the crotch of my pants was ripped to shreds the last time I wore them. One would think I would remember that happening.