Friday, March 06, 2009

Murray Chass is Always 10 Years Behind Me

SCZA e-mailed me an article by Hall of Fame baseball writer Murray Chass.
Before I go on let's get a couple things on the table. I hate Murray Chass. He's a pompous douche who belittled me when I suggested steroids where prevalent in baseball.
I hate Mike Piazza, too. Similar to the way I feel about Michelle Obama, it's not Piazza I hate, the treatment of him, the ignorance of the facts regarding him and his poor clutch performance are the reasons I dislike Piazza.
And about 10 years ago I said with near certainty that Piazza was a steroid user.

There is just too much overwhelming evidence against him. He went from skinny 62nd round draft pick to muscle-bound Hall of Famer. He went from feared slugger to decripit old man who tore a muscle moving out of the way of a pitch. And his statistical decline too conveniently mirrored the arrival of punitive steroid testing in baseball.

And one more thing, according to Murray Chass, Piazza had really bad back acne, an obvious sign of steroid use.

Now Chass, who had his head in the sand for years on steroids claims to have known it all along but his editors would never let him voice his suspicions about Piazza. And even now Chass would have kept looking the other way except his piece gave him the chance to criticize a much better article by his apparent nemesis Joel Sherman of the Post.

The point is this, so many baseball players were using steroids during the period from 1993 to 2003 (Piazza's heyday) it would be almost impossible to imagine that one of the few cleans guys also happens to have this many red flags.

And Murray Chass is a self-righteous asshole who was a big part of the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading the discussion you and I had re: A-Rod prior to his being revealed a juicer. I think we both articulated our suspicions but I concluded that he was "just an a-hole."

Agree 100% about Piazza being on 'roids. I like both him and Michelle Obama but think they do kind of get the Jeter treatment by many.

Anonymous said...

Piazza is proud of America though.