Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Oy Is This a Putz

Jackie Mason is coming under fire for calling President Obama a schvartza (there is no correct spelling, Yiddish is a spoken language not a written one), during his standup.

Mason is one of my favorite comedians, thanks to years of having him forcefed to me by Papa Poop. Also Master Bates used to have this toy that when you pressed a button it would cycle through some of Jackie's best phrases like "he's a schmuck -- the biggest" and "oy is this a putz."

I don't really think there's a problem with schvartza, it literally means black and most old jews use it all the time, not in a demeaning way. Plus, he's a comedian and black comedians due much worse, as Mason pointed out.

Mason said, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

No comments: