Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Bernie Carbo Wanted to Break Keith Hernandez's Arms

Former Red Sox outfielder Bernie Carbo, best known for hitting a game-tying 3-run homer in the epic Game 6 of the 1975 World Series says he was high during the game, and basically his entire career.

"I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some [amphetamines], took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit . . . I played every game high. I was addicted to anything you could possibly be addicted to. I played the out field sometimes where it looked like the stars were falling from the sky."

When Carbo went to the St. Louis Cardinals in 1980 he introduced Keith Hernandez to cocaine. When Hernandez testified in the 1985 Pittsburgh drug trial he identified Carbo as his supplier. Evidently that made Carbo mad enough to seek revenge.

"I knew some people, and I had $2,000, and I asked them to break his arms." Carbo said.

"When I went to an individual to have it done, he said, 'We'll do it in two or three years if you want it done, but we're not going to do it today, Bernie. If we went and broke his legs today, or broke his arms, you don't think they would understand that you are the one that had it done?' "

No comments: