Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Idol Chatter

There is no style of music I love more than Motown so there couldn't be a better time for our first Idol Chatter of this season.

I saw Casey Abrams when he was called Taylor Hicks. I didn't like him then and I don't like him now. Though Mrs. Poop loved his performance of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," she turned against him after his awful rendition of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." I can't believe the judges used their save on him. Even if they loved him and thought it was too early for him to go out they had to realize that if he was low man with 11 left, no matter how well he does from here the viewers don't like him and he'll just end up getting voted out again in 3 or 4 weeks. It's way too early in the season to use the save, what if someone better has an off week later on?

Thia Magia is in the bottome three-uh. She's the typical young teenager who gets on this show and sticks around a couple weeks longer than she should. She can sing, but is too bashful/inexperienced to really cut loose on stage.

A similar problem derailed my all-time favorite Idol contestant, roly-poly teenager Jacee Badeaux (no relation to Neon). I was so sad when my little pudgeball got kicked off but he just wasn't good enough because years of being called fat hurt his self-confidence and didn't do anything other than just sing the song as it was written.



I hate Paul "Jelly Legs" MacDonald and his goofy smile. But I loved his rendition of "Tracks of My Tears."

I also hate the Tourette's kid James Durbin. He sings as if he has Tourette's, each note is an uncontrollable outburst.

I kind of like that girl Haley, because she has great legs. What's with girls named Haley on American Idol wearing booty shorts? Remember Haley Scarnato?

Speaking of sexy, I think they are showing too much cleavage for 16-year-old Lauren Alaina. And while we're talking about her, she suffers from the other problem that often befalls young contestants. She's singing songs with mature subject matter without the life experience to back it up. It ends up being an act instead of a heartfelt performance. Being that I love soul music, precisely because the singer's feelings are palpable, this really turns me off about Lauren.

Scotty McCreery is not going to win this competition. But there is a possibility he could have the best career of any of these people because he fits so perfectly into the country genre. He seems a little arrogant though.

I'm not ignoring Naima and Stefano, I just have nothing to say about them.

Now on to the two favorites:

Jacob Lusk is a really awesome singer, but he tries a little hard at times. And he opens his mouth so freakin wide when he sings. But his rendition of "You're All I Need To Get By" was one of the 5 best in the history of American Idol.

But the real favorite is Pia Toscano. She is the best pure singer of anyone. She delivers great performances every single time. She's seems really nice and friendly. Plus she's hot.



The one criticism of her is that she sings the same kind of power ballads every week. I agree I would like to hear something different, especially during Motown week (why not something by the Supremes?) but the judges constantly tell the constants to figure out who they are and stay true to themselves. And then when they do it, the judges say they need to switch up.

Speaking of the judges, I thought this season was going to be the beginning of the end for the show but I now I have changed my mind. First of all, I think the talent decline over the past few seasons has stopped. There are a couple top people, and a lot of dept this year.

Second of all, I am actually enjoying the more positive tone to the judge's comments. I was always uncomfortable in the audition rounds when they would so thoroughly embarrass someone, often someone who had a questionable grip on reality. There were a lot fewer awful performances during those shows this season.

And I think all three judges have done a good job of straddling the line between Paula and Simon.

Paula was on mood stabilizers and refused to say anything negative. Steven Tyler and J.Lo have both had their moments of criticism, but they try to do it in a constructive way.

Simon hated everything and looked like he wasn't having a good time. You can tell J.Lo and Steven Tyler are both really enjoying being a part of the show and it's always more fun to watch someone who is having fun.

Even though she wears her hair in a different style, and often has silly outfits, J.Lo is still has hot as ever.

And I love the goofy things Steven Tyler says. "Hell fire save the matches, fuck a duck and see what hatches" is the greatest quote in the history of humankind.

One guarantee: at the finale both of those judges will do a duet with the two finalists, especially if it's one male and one female.

My prediction: Paul McDonald third, Jacob Lusk second and Pia wins it all.

No comments: