Friday, May 27, 2011

Idol Chatter

I guess Scotty deserved to win. I think he will do better than previous American Idols, Kris Allen and Lee DeWyze who hardly sold any albums.

I think the voting is shifting more and more to tween and teen girls. The first 4 seasons had 3 female winners (Kelly, Fantasia and Carrie). The next 6 seasons had 5 male winners (Taylor, David Cook, Kris, Lee and now Scotty).

Overall I thought the finale show was pretty good though I was really disappointed Steven Tyler and Lauren Alaina didn't do a duet of "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." I really didn't get the point of having Steven sing "Dream On" by himself.

And though I would have loved to see a goofy duet of her and Scotty I much preferred the J.lo booty shake.

I liked the Jacob performance of "Smile" with Kirk Franklin and special guest Gladys Knight. I still think he was the best singer the competition but his personality was just terrible. He turned everyone off when he refused to sing "Let's Get It On" and when he said if he got voted off after singing "Man in the Mirror" it would be because America didn't want to look in the mirror.

I loved the skit between James and Casey arguing over the most shocking elimination.



I love how they just shut it down when Pia came in with her Most Shocking sash

pia toscano most shocking sash

I don't think Jack Black is funny but he did something very subtly hilarious. As Scotty was singing his new single, after he won, he came out and hugged his whole family, and Jack Black wanted a hug too.

Note: I love how I can now cue up youtube videos to the exact spot I want.

I loved Tom Jones but I thought it was insulting to make James sing "What's New Pussycat." Why not make one of the effeminate guys sing it? Why neuter the rocker in that fashion?



I liked Beyonce's two performances. I like her new song "1+1" (though I do have a complaint about it which I think I will get to in a separate post) but I'm surprised she performed such a slow song in that venue.

Beyonce's crotch

I enjoyed seeing TLC and it was a cool performance with all the girls but it was sad without Left Eye. And T-Boz has really let herself go. At least Chili is still killing it.

Chili's abs

Sometimes your kids ask you impossible questions. Why is the sky blue? Why don't people in China fall off the Earth? Why is the dog licking himself? But during this show Chase hit me with one I couldn't even begin to formulate a response to: What is Lady Gaga wearing?

what is Lady Gaga wearing?

I think Haley Reinhart is setting herself up to turn into a total slut when she starts her career. I'm not opposed to that at all, I think she's kinda hot. But she's like a less pretty, less curvy and less talented version of Carrie Underwood. And she doesn't have a clear genre that she fits into either. Not sure her Tony Bennett duet earned her any points with the 12-17 male audience.

Haley Reinhart Garter

More than 30 million people watched this finale of American Idol, which I believe is down from previous seasons but better than last year's number and better than this year's Dancing with the Stars finale from Tuesday night.

I guess any obituaries for the show were a bit premature and I'm pretty sure this train still has at least a few more seasons to roll through.

2 comments:

Juice said...

Grade A post...

ton said...

I still hate Jacob's voice, cringe inducing at this point.

I loved the Pia bit as well.

That Jack Black thing...I lost my freakin sh!t. Totally outta nowhere, and totally hysterical.