Sunday, September 15, 2013

Weekly Picks

A pretty lucky opening weekend, or unlucky depending on your point of view. Four of the games I picked were very close, one ended as a push, but the biggie, my best bet was pushed over the top by a late field goal.

PHILADELPHIA -7 san diego
I really think the Eagles are on to something, at least at early before other teams have a chance to figure it out. They thoroughly dominated the Redskins and nothing that happened in the 4th quarter makes any difference when indicating how well the Eagles will play this week. I do hate that I am picking a Monday Night winner vs. a Monday night loser, but I think the Eagles performance actually looked worse than it was and the Chargers actually looked better than it was, simply because they held it close.

buffalo +3 CAROLINA
I was very impressed with the way the Bills played against New England last week. I think EJ Manuel has a chance to be pretty good. And I am growing increasingly sure that Cam Newton's rookie season was a mirage and he actually sucks.

st. Louis +6 1/2 ATLANTA
I'm still happy with the Rams even though they didn't cover in Week 1. The Falcons are good but this spread is a little too big.

dallas +3 KANSAS CITY
I think we are all getting a little too ahead of ourselves with the Chiefs. They looked great, but they were playing the Jaguars. I refuse to believe Alex Smith is great and Andy Reid is smart, just because of one week.

BEST BET
san Francisco +3 SEATTLE

My preseason predictions centered around two things: the 49ers would be even better this year, and the Seahawks would be worse. Nothing I saw in Week 1 is leading me to change my mind. I love Kaepernick and think Russell Wilson is very overrated. But turnovers will matter here, and that has a lot to do with luck. I rarely take this many underdogs, especially as my best bet, but I just have a feeling.

Last Week: 2-3 (3 points)
Season: 2-3 (3 points)
Best Bets: 1-0 (1-0)
Home Favorites: 1-1 (0-0)
Home Underdogs: 0-0 (0-0)
Road Favorites: 1-1 (0-0)
Road Underdogs: 0-1 (0-0)

2 comments:

Bill said...

I would have made the same bets and been wrong too.

jleary said...

Yeah, I didn't see that Seattle beatdown coming either. I picked SF as well