Friday, December 16, 2005

Weekly Picks

Bad week last week. I went 2-4, my first sub-.500 week of the season, lowering my season total to 34-20. Harley and Adam dropped 4 points behind the leader into a three-way death match for second, third and fourth place. Only the top 3 spots earn money so we are in a race to the finish.
Before I begin I'd like to take a moment to discuss the bloodshed last week. With a record number of favorites covering in Week 13, I fully expected some upsets in Week 14. I underestimated just how wide spread the nuclear winter would be. Instead of going with my year-long strategy (pick with your balls, not your brains), I played it safe and took all 6 favorites. And we all know how that turned out. This week we get back to slinging it around the field, and if we don't win, don't blame Adam or Harley. The buck stops here.

DOLPHINS -8.5 jets: New York is putrid, and they won last week. Now that Miami dones't care about winning anymore they are actually a pretty good team. But they are also coming of a huge win. But I think they can cover this spread. I think Nick Saban took the attention away from his team with his rant and I expect Miami to kill New York.

TEXANS +1.5 cardinals: I know I keep saying it but I love Arizona. This small spread makes the game basically a pick'em. In that case I'll go with Arizona every time. Especially because it looks like Houston is throwing the games. Last 3 lossses: blow 21 point lead to Rams, take 15-13 lead and allow Kyle Boller to go 32 yards in less than a minute to beat you 16-15, and last week, kicker shanks one to avoid a tie.

COLTS -7.5 chargers: All good things must come to an end. The streak ends here. A pissed of San Diego team, mad at losing to Miami, mad at Josh for calling them whale vagina, mad at Mario Lopez and every other douchebag for imploring them to stay classy is going to play inspired football and kick Indianapolis's ass. If San Diego doesn't win outright they will at least be the first team to play Indy within a touchdown all season.

SAINTS +7.5 panthers: I'm struggling with this one due to the success of my backup quarterback theory. I know Aaron Brooks sucks and that New Orleansis probably better off without him. But Todd Bauman is no Brad Johnson. Carolina let their division lead slip away last week and I don't see a similar letdown coming again. I predict Carolina covers and Steve Smith does a stupid touchdown celebration to keep up with his former junior college teammate, Chad Johnson.

JAGUARS -15.5 49ers: I know San Francisco is horrible, especially on the road. But David Garrard led them to 3 points before the Colts defense gave up last week. All San Francisco needs is one touchdown to cover this spread.

VIKINGS -3.5 steelers: All good things must come to an end. Pittsburgh is just too physical for Minnesota. I also think Roethlisberger proved he can play with his injury therefore minimizing any Tommy Maddox worries. Minnesota also had to deal with the news of these charges against four players (Free Fred Smoot!) but who knows if they will once again react positively to that bad situation. Either way I love the Bus and Pittsburgh in this one.

RAVENS +3.5 packers: I know Brett Favre is just having fun. And I know he's the old gunslinger. I know I fuckin hate him now. I think Green Bay will win by a field goal again, meaning Baltimore is the pick.

No comments: