Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Idol Chatter

When I heard that this week was going to be Gwen Stefani week, I almost cried. It’s been well documented how much I hate her and the awful songs she sings. Thankfully they decided to create a gimmick for her “songs that inspired her” because hearing 10 people try to sing her nonsense music would have sent me over the edge.

Sort of like what happened when I saw what they did to that fuckin idiot Sanjaya. At least this time he didn’t look gay. No gay man would ever wear his hair like that. He looked ridiculous. But it reminded me of what I always say about bad ideas. Bad ideas get started with someone saying “that’s a really good idea.” And there was some hair person on the show who convinced Sanjaya that the ponyhawk would be a good look for him.






But because of the attention his ridiculous do will garner him this week, I think he’ll get one more week out of it.

Back to Gwen Stefani for a moment. I actually really enjoyed her appearance as guest judge. I thought she was going to be horrible and giggly like a little girl, or overly positive like Paula, but she was actually fair and intelligent and insightful. I was pleasantly surprised. I also liked the way she looked. Instead of dressing strange she was actually dressed kinda normal, though I don’t understand neckties on women. And her hair and makeup were done in such a way that she looked like a normal pretty girl instead of a rock star trying to be unique.




But her music still sucks. “Hey Baby” or whatever it’s official title is started my hatred for Gwen and my call for her to be tried for crimes against humanity. It is the stupidest, most ridiculous, most nonsensical song I have ever heard. EVER! Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-ver. I’m pissed that Jordin chose to sing it. But I think people liked it, and I think they like that fact that she is almost as good at 17 as Melinda and LaKisha are at 10 years older.

Melinda and LaKisha were both good once again. And finally they sang something a little more modern and up tempo. And I’m glad Seacrest brought up the fact that Melinda always seems shocked when people say something nice about her. At this point it seems that she’s either an idiot or a phony.

And finally Chris Hurley (fat one, looks like Hurley from Lost) finally sang something people have heard of. That was nice for a change. I thought it was pretty good because I don’t understand anything the judges were saying. But I don’t think he has much of a following and he is my pick to go home this week.

The other Chris, Chris Timberlake may benefit from the post-scare voting boom. A lot of times when contestants do surprisingly poorly one week, their fans vote in force the following week.

Phil Stacey sucks, but I think he’s improving and the judges liked him so he will stay.

Blake is still awesome. I liked the judges point about him becoming like Daughtry. Just singing the same type of music each week, and even though it’s really good and original people get tired of it. But Daughtry has had and will have a much better career than Taylor Hicks, but I still think Blake is going to be this year’s Idol. Mrs. Poop voted for him twice, once for her, and once for Diesel. It’s hard to dial a phone when you lack opposable thumbs.

Gina’s a non-factor and Hayley abandoned her sexed-up gimmick a little too early. One of those two will be in the bottom three but I fear it’s the end of the road for Chris Hurley this week.

No comments: