Monday, February 18, 2008

I Want to Become a Vegetarian

If I thought I could happily live my life without ever again consuming animal flesh (or chicken soup) I would become a vegetarian.
This undvercover video was shot by the Humane Society at a slaughterhouse run by the Hallmark/Westland Meat Company.



A popular defense for dogfighting (don't ask my why people are defending dogfighting) is that eating animals is just as bad because they are tortured. Video like this proves that torture does happen sometimes, and when it does we should be just as outraged as we were when we heard about Michael Vick.

My one defense of eating meat is that nature did intend for animals to eat each other, but not to force them to fight each other for amusement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I became semi-vegetarians about a year ago for this very reason. I don't think that humans can be trusted to kill animals humanely, and this sort of abuse sickens me.

Full disclosure - we gave up eating mammals (pigs and cows really), but do still eat chicken in limited amounts. The mammal distinction is admittedly arbitrary, but it was a good compromise for us given our lifestyle.