Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Incompetence

Mrs. Poop went to Shop-Rite yesterday afternoon to pick up some items for dinner (tilapia with panko, delicious) and in the bakery aisle she got sucked in by St. Patrick's Day themed Popems.
Mrs. Poop loves St. Patrick's Day but not because she's Irish, she loves it because St. Patrick hated snakes, and Mrs. Poop hates snakes. I mean really hates snakes. When I put my rubber snake in her bag as a practical joke and she pulled it out when looking for her stethoscope, she screamed in horror and threw my rubber snake in the trash. I don't think this was right on her part because the rubber snake was my property, and even though I did use it to play a joke on her, I didn't give it to her, and I never foresaw that she would discard my prized possession. But that's not the point.
The point is, to thank St. Patrick for ridding Ireland of snakes, she decided to buy a box of Popems for $4.19.
Unfortunately, when she got to check-out, she picked the line with the incompetent cashier.
Grocery store checkout clerks are not known for their skill and dexterity but this one was a clerk in training and she completely fucked up Mrs. Poop's order.
She rang up the one box of Popems, one, two, three, four, FIVE times.
How can you not see on the little screen that the same item keeps ringing up?
Anyway, she needed help removing the extra items from the bill, yet somehow they deleted it all five times meaning we got the Popems for free.
Normally I think your karma would be negatively affected if you take something for free that you should have rightfully paid for.
But in this case Mrs. Poop really didn't know what exactly they were doing and she was trying to load her groceries into her cart and get the hell out of there.
Plus I think she deserves positive karma points for not jumping over the conveyor belt and knifing the bitch.

A portion of the offending grocery store receipt is below. I have no idea why there is a giant white space in the middle but you can see clearly that she was charged for five boxes of Popems and then credited back for all five boxes.



Looking at this receipt again it appears we were also charged for only one hard roll, but Mrs. Poop actually bought two.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might be messing up the story completely with my early onset alzheimers, but something like this happened to Scott when we lived together. He went to buy a rug, the cashier was a young girl. There was no price tag on the rug. Scott makes one of his stupid comments "I'm pretty sure it was $1". She says "Okay, whatever" and rings it up for $1.

I think he actually tried to correct her, but she basically didn't care and didn't change it.

Anonymous said...

That's true Ton.

Another story..

When I lived in Weehawken, I found a $100 bill on the floor while waiting in line to pay at PathMark.

The lady in front of me said, "Damn, I just lost $100".

So, I slowly walked to another line with my brand new $100 bill!

Anonymous said...

What the hell is a popem? You mean donut hole or munchkin?

Anonymous said...

Too many popems I imagine.

Paul said...

Billa, read the receipt, they're called Popems. Entenmann's (preferred bakery of Nails and The Concierge's father) calls their version of the donut hole, Popems.

Anonymous said...

Scat, thanks for all the bad karma you accrued.