Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Very Happy Birthday

Thanks to all of those who sent along their best birthday wishes, turning 30 was an enjoyable experience.

Mrs. Poop bought me a bunch of things, including a shirt (the short sleeves are particularly short and the guns aren't looking as good as they used to), a new pair of sunglasses (this is a gift for her, she hated looking at my old ones because the paint was starting to chip around the nose) and a scratch-off ticket.

She picked the ticket with the poker theme. Basically you get 5 2-card hands (Texas HoldEm) and the "champion" gets one. You need to reveal the board (flop, turn and river) and beat the champion. I got several junk hands but also got jack-ten of diamonds, one of my favorite suited connectors and ace-7 which figured to be favored over a random hand. Unfortunately the champion was holding ducks meaning I was behind but had two overcards on all five of my hands. A king came in the door, then an ace, putting me ahead, but the champion 2-outed me by hitting a deuce. When a king hit the turn the champion filled up and I was left drawing to 4 outs, a king or an ace for the bigger boat. A 5 hit the river and Mrs. Poop wasted $5 on a scratch off ticket.

My last gift was a GPS system. Since I am always making wrong turns due to bad guesses and inattentive driving this is a welcome if costly gift. It should certainly help us as we begin our summer of Poop (more on that later this week).

The day ended with a Mets victory, which is just about the best way a day can end, so I am happy and hoping my 30s will be as good as my 20s, which started oh so long ago.

I hope Damino who shares a birthday and 30 years ago shared a nursery with me (we were born in the same hospital on the same day), also had a nice day.

Dirk Nowitzki was born on June 19, 1978, but I don't think it was at Staten Island Hospital.

Other June 20th birthdays include:
Nicole Kidman, 1967
Paul Goydos, 1964 - Dirtbag
Dickie Thon, 1958 - Suffered one of the worst sports injuries I ever saw when he got hit in the face by a Mike Torrez fastball.
Cyndi Lauper, 1953 - Best known for "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" but "Time After Time" is a much better song
John Goodman - 1952
Bob Vila, 1946
Lionel Richie, 1944 - The lead singer of the Commodores is unfortunately better known for his solo work and even more unfortunately, he's even better known as Nicole Richie's dad
Terry Funk, 1944 - The King of Hardcore
Brian Wilson, 1942 - Lead singer of the Beach Boys though he did not sing lead on my favorite Beach Boys song, former song of the week, "God Only Knows"
John Mahoney, 1941 - Played Marty Crane on "Frasier" where he was constantly upstaged by the adorable dog, Moose who played Eddie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again Paul. Another June 20th birthday is Christopher Mintz-Plasse aka "McLovin." It's nice to be in such good company.

Anonymous said...

Two hardcore legends born on the same day, Terry Funk and Paul. Happy belated birthday Paul, hope all is well.

Tom Gunn