Tuesday, September 09, 2008

We're Looking for a Few Good Jews

A Jewish group in Dothan, Alabama is offering Jewish families $50,000 to move to that town. And all of you have to do is get involved at Temple Emanu-El and stay five years.
Most Southern Jews have left small towns for bigger cities and Larry Blumberg head of Blumberg Family Jewish Community Services wants to bring them back.

"A lot of the older people have died, and not many of the younger ones have stayed," said Thelma Nomberg, a member of the Dothan temple.

She says Temple Emanu-El lost nearly half its membership, down to about 50 families.

Launched in June, the Blumberg program has put advertisements in Jewish newspapers in Boston, Miami, Providence, R.I., and Washington, and it plans to expand the campaign.

"I think it's important that we try to find young people that we could use in our religious school, our Sunday school and help in the way of trying to create more of a family-type atmosphere in our temple," Blumberg said.

So far not one family has made the move, but if I can get the Met games on DirecTV, I'd strongly consider it.

$50,000 in a small Alabama town is probably enough to a buy a bigger house than the one I live in now.

The only problem is Dothan is the peanut capital of the world and I'm allergic to peanuts. But I think I could get used to the whole itchy tongue thing.

Story Suggested by the Razor

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go to realtor.com and check out home prices. you could live very well for under $400k.