Saturday, December 13, 2008

Back in Business

I got a new job.
While I won't discuss any particulars here I'll say a few things about it.
I started Friday to train and jump in with both feet on Monday. It seems to be a lot more like what I want to do and with a smaller staff I will have more chances to do the things that will advance my career.
I'm still working overnights, only this job doesn't provide free parking so I'm taking the train in. Until I get comfortable I'll be getting in at 10:30 pm, so I have to leave home at 9:30. When I get more accustomed to it I can go in an hour later. And I will probably get home at around 10:30 am most days so it's a lot less time with Chase than I had before but it's good enough for now.
The position I'm filling is freelance so I am getting paid a day rate and not eligible for benefits. But once my benefits expire with my old job we'll switch to Mrs. Poop's, even though it's pretty expensive since she only works part time.
I also have 12 more weeks of severance coming to me from my former employer which is pretty sweet.
I was told by my new boss that if it works out with me and they like me there's a good chance the freelance position could become a permanent one. But likely that is going to be for a LOT less money than I was making.
But I'm willing to take the temporary pay cut for future glory.
I'm very happy with my new opportunity, with the chance to get back to work and with the passing of the storm cloud that was floating over my head for the past four weeks.
Thanks to all of you who helped make this possible and offered your assistance during this difficult time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats man, glad to hear things are going well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!

Anonymous said...

do da damn thang!