Tuesday, March 09, 2010

New York's Coming Population Explosion

"I have seven kids that live in five different states. I made some wrong decisions in my first two years in the league. Now I have to take on the responsibility of being a father to my kids. I can separate my personal life and off-the-field issues from football...The mothers [and I] try to work out a schedule where I can see my kids. I talk to them on IChat and Skype. We try to find different ways for me to be in their lives, no matter how it is.''

That quote comes from the newest Jet Antonio Cromartie. Moving to the East Coast may allow him to expand his reach to a few more states. New York and New Jersey should be no problem assuming they're not already on his list.
Cromartie is in the last year of a 5-year, $12 million contract.
He'll be paid $1.7 million this year but he can't wait until the season starts to get his first paycheck. He asked the Jets to front him $500,000 so he can stay current on his child support payments.
How much child support could this poor guy be on the hook for?
$4,000 a month seems outrageous and even that only amounts to about $336,000 for a year.
If he really has his life together the Jets got a good player for a bargain basement price because the Chargers don't want to deal with his issues. If not they only have one year at a reasonable cost.

3 comments:

master bates said...

$336k in child support doesnt seem like all that much? Based on the $1.7 million salary and a 45% combined federal and state tax rate, he'll take home a little over $1.0 and pay them approximately 1/3. That leaves him a little less than $700k. Which is a lot to you and me but not to someone who lives like a rock star (which I'm sure he does). Since there are suits involved, he probably owes back child support for past years which caused the lump sum problem that the Jets fronted him money for.

Also, why is $4k a month outrageous? The kids are usually entitield to live in a similar life style to the parent. You don't think Cromartie lives on less than $4k a month do you?

Shawn Kemp said...

Only 7 kids and only 5 states....amateur

Paul said...

Not sure how they determine child suppport but if the father has never lived with the mother or child it seems strange to instantly give them the lifestyle of a millionaire.

I said only $336,000 because he should be able to afford that. Obviously we know he can't because he spent to much but the point is he should have been able to afford all 7 kids.