Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The NFL is Poop - Week 1

Welcome Back NFL
It's hard to miss something that never even left but it seems there is more excitement, personally and across the broader fan base, for this season than for years past. Just the thought of a canceled or shortened season was enough to turn any NFL fan into a whipped boyfriend running back whenever the NFL was ready to have us again. I am not placing blame, I am part of the problem, though I was not part of the audience for Sunday Night's Cowboys-Jets game, which pulled in the highest rating for a Week 1 primetime game since 1996. And what a great game it was.

I Bet A Lot of Cowboys Fans Will Be Changing the First Letter of his Last Name This Morning
Tony Romo (with an R) gifted a game to the Jets with a 4th quarter fumble and an interception. Romo is a pretty good quarterback but it seems like he will never fulfill the promise he had when he first burst on the scene. And the window for the Cowboys to become a top team is closing.

Whose League Is It?
You always hear a lot of talk about how the NFL is now a passing league, as opposed to a running one. Really? In Week 1, six running backs gained more than 100 yards and they all won. 7 of the top 8 receivers by yards lost, except Wes Welker who probably wou;dn't have ruined my perfect item if not for that 99-yard TD. I know a lot of this depends on play-calling which is based on the game situation. I know teams rush for a lot of yards because they are winning, they don't necessarily win because they rush for a lot of yards. But a difference that drastic in winning percentage for top rushers vs. top receivers does show us that a good running game is still a great way to build and keep a lead.

Impressive Debut
I wasn't sold on Cam Newton as an NFL prospect (though I did pick him to win Rookie of the Year) and I still am not convinced, but I was impressed by what I saw from him while watching the Panthers-Cardinals game on the computer during breaks in the Redskins-Giants. He showed a better, more accurate throwing arm than I thought he possessed, and he also used his running abilities to great effect, but also with great judiciousness. He did make some mistakes and I still think he has some 9 for 21, 3 INT games in his future. But judging by his debut, his future looks bright.



A Brief Rant About the Redskins
If the Redskins are to go 2-14 this year, I just hope the other win is against the Giants. Prior to this season the Giants had beaten us 9 of the past ten times. That's one win in 5 years against my most hated rival. I do see some promise on offense, though I am not buying a Rex Grossman jersey just yet. He did play well, and make some great throws, but the Giants injury-depleted pass rush may have helped in that regard. Tim Hightower looked good running the ball, which will help balance. There are still big concerns about the defense, especially with Reed Doughty getting burned on a deep ball. But Arizona is up next at home, a very winnable game. After that 4 of the next 5 games are on the road (Dallas, St. Louis, Carolina and Buffalo) against teams that aren't expected to be very good.



Picture of the Week
Kerry Collins looks old and beaten. And this was taken before the game started.

Kerry Collins looks battered and beaten -- before kickoff

Picture of the Week II
Of all the touching tributes to 9/11 during Sunday's games, there were none I wanted to touch more than this ribbon worn by a Redskins cheerleader.

is it insensitive to stare at her boobs?

Did Jaws Just Say Shit?
I think he did. Listen carefully and you can hear Ron Jaworski say "shit you have to get rid of this ball..."



If the Super Bowl Were Played Today
Buffalo 34 Chicago 17
Just for fun I am starting this season off with the teams that had the best victories in Week 1. Judging only by what I saw, not what I thought. Maybe New England - Green Bay is a more likely matchup, but they only won by 14 and 8 respectively. And I do have concerns about Green Bay's defense which almost gave this game away.

4 comments:

juice said...

J E T S
JETS! JETS! JETS!

Damino said...

I'm a lifelong suffering Bills fan, so I much appreciate the prediction, even if it's mainly in jest.

But I'm not getting too excited. On opening day 2003 they destroyed the eventual Super Bowl champion Patriots 31-0, but the Bills had a subpar season. I think this team will end up winning 6 to 8 games at best.

Paul said...

I remember that season. Isn't that when Belichick let Lawyer Milloy go and everyone killed him saying he cut the heart and soul out of the team? They lost game 2 and won the next 14 and the Super Bowl?

I still think 6 wins would be a stretch for the Bills but they are on top of the world now.

Damino said...

You're exactly right re: Milloy and the '03 season - he left the Pats and signed with Buffalo.

The Bills' out of division schedule is pretty weak so I think they can go 5-10 fairly easily from here.