Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Continuing Decline of Carmelo Anthony

From the Rocky Mountain News:

An impulsive fling cost Carmelo Anthony some bling.
The Denver Nuggets forward was fined $5,000 on Tuesday for throwing a ball into the stands Saturday against the Miami Heat.

"I wasn't surprised. I was waiting for the fine," Anthony said. "I was waiting for some consequences to face. I'll take the fine. It was my fault. . . . As soon as the ball left my hand, I was like (uh-oh)."

Anthony whipped the ball into the stands after being called for a charging foul late in the second quarter of the Nuggets' victory against the Heat.

The ball hit an 11-year-old girl sitting in the front row behind the basket. Anthony apologized to Taylor Alexander as the Nuggets went to the locker room at halftime.

"I told her I was sorry, (that) I was frustrated," Anthony said. "She responded back and said, 'We all get frustrated at times.' I was like 'Wow.' That was a good thing."

In addition to an apology, Taylor also received a Nuggets hat signed by Anthony and a jersey autographed by Earl Boykins.

"She wasn't looking for any more punishment for him," Taylor's father, Rick Alexander, said. "We didn't even discuss (the fine), but I think that might be the end of his throwing- balls-into-the-stands days."

Anthony admitted he got off easy with only a fine. Players typically are ejected when sending the ball into the stands.

Raja Bell, while playing for the Utah Jazz, got ejected for kicking the ball into the stands during a game against the Nuggets on Jan. 20, 2004. Tracy McGrady, then playing for the Orlando Magic, was ejected for the same infraction during a game against the Nuggets one month later.

Nuggets coach George Karl said he talked with Anthony about his outburst and cautioned him about losing his temper.

"The officials didn't see it," Karl said. "I think if they saw it, it might have been an ejection. We can't afford to lose him."


I know he is human and we get frustrated but he has had too many of these little instances, he is definitely losing his luster to me.
Justin blames it all on Lala.
Also I found it funny the newspaper used the words "uh oh." I have a funny feeling he said "oh shit."

No comments: