Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Idol Chatter

Another season of Idol is almost over. Another Idol will be crowned, have one hit CD and fade from public consciousness. But we love it. And I can't wait for tonight's finale. But more on that later, first we focus on last night's final performances.

Some were criticizing that dress saying it accentuated some of her negatives, but I think it accentuated her bedunkadunk.

Other than that this really was a boring episode. We heard four songs we'd heard before. For Katharine that "Black Horse and a Cherry Tree" song sucks, and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is boring to listen to, even when sung well.

Taylor's first two songs were ok but nothing special.

The first singles sucked. Both songs were horrible, but I would have to agree that Taylor was better.

I liked Kellie Pickler's sexy new haircut.

I liked that they identified Tori Spelling as one of Katharine's friends, although I think it might have been a mistake.

The best part of the show was the performance of "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter. That's what I like, one man, one voice and one piano. Especially in contrast to the overdone Idol songs. Do they really need to bring out a choir?

So it comes down to this: McPheever vs. Soul Patrol. If I hear Taylor say Soul Patrol one more time I think I'm going to scream.

I understand that smart money is on Taylor to win this thing. But I think back to a story I heard about Jimmy the Greek. He got his start in gambling by correctly predicting the winner of the 1948 Presidential election. Everyone thought Dewey was going to win (even the newspapers printed "Dewey Defeats Truman") but he predicted that Truman would win because people wouldn't vote for a President with a moustache. Truman obviously won and we've still never had a President with a moustache.

So I look at these two contestants and I see a hot girl with a big ass (and some other big parts) against a 30 year old guy with gray hair. One seems like the American Idol and the other doesn't. So I will predict that Katharine will win in a mild upset. If she does you all have to read "Blink" to learn more about the way our minds work.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Paul,

Blog Statboy here...

Are we forgetting that William Howard Taft had a moustache and was elected about a hundred years ago??

http://www.usdoj.gov/osg/aboutosg/w_taft.jpg

Paul said...

I know Kelly has had a long career, but no one has since and I don't expect either of these two to be sustainable.

As for Beers, you are right about Taft, but I was referring to the modern age, when people can actually see what the President looks like.