Friday, June 09, 2006

World Cup Preview

After the United States' historic run to the 2002 quarterfinals big things are expected for the Uncle Sams this year. I don't see it. The team was unlucky enough to draw Group E one of the two Groups of Death in this year's draw. I expected the U.S. to lose to Italy, tie with Czech and beat Ghana. That won't be enough to advance if Italy and Czech both beat Ghana and tie against each other. Enjoy watching our best defender Gooch, tangle with Czech's 6'8" dude who only scores with his head. Enjoy watching Kasey Keller throw up a blank sheet against Ghana. Enjoy watching the Ivory Coast and Togo. Miss Togo already won the pre-tournament Miss World Cup pageant. Maybe the team will keep that streak going.

Everyone seems to be picking Brazil, but not me.
Paul's Poop World Cup prediction is France. They may have no guts on the battlefield but on the soccer field or pitch, those boys can play. They have Zinedine Zidane, one of the best players ever.

They also have a great goal scorer in Theirry Henry (On-ree). He hasn't done too well in previous international competitions but he is anxious to prove his doubters wrong. He also is the frequent target of thrown bananas and "monkey" chants. German police promise to arrest any fans goose stepping at the games, which should help his concentration.

France also has a solid goal keeper in Fabien Barthez.

France will defeat Germany in a crazy semifinal match that has the crowd at a fever pitch, while Germans fans threaten to take over France again. Then in an epic final Ronaldinho cannot break through the suffocating French defense and Les Bleus will be victorious for the second time in the last three World Cups.

I hope you will enjoy the World Cup as I know I will. For two weeks every four years I give myself to swimming and badminton and snowboarding and of course curling. So for these two weeks (ok, a month) I'll get into the world cup. 5.7 billion people can't be wrong. I do like the fact that soccer has no commercials, continuous action is foreign to American sports. Also the fan involvement does make it more exciting. They say every person has two favorite teams in the World Cup, their own, and Brazil. I think it's true, because everyone loves Brazil's fans.

Zizou, simply the best
do not throw bananas at this man

3 comments:

D said...

The only time I've ever really called anything correctly in the World Cup, was picking France to win it all the year that it was in France.

Ton said...

The closest I've ever come to watching soccer was when soccer came to springfield, on the simpsons.

Actually, I did go to a Cuse womens games once...just cuz "soccer girls"=hot

Brian said...

I'll take Argentina