Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Curse of the Concierge -- Broken

The Mets' Game 6 victory broke the Curse of the Concierge.

Like Dante, I wasn't even supposed to be here today. I got a text from Nails and an e-mail from Reissberg at around 1 saying "Jay Leary is angry, Matt Focks doesn't have a clean blazer, we have an extra ticket, can you go to the game?"

I was conflicted but I decided to go. I took a nap, bought a sandwich from Subway (3-0 when buying a Subway sandwich before the game, 0-1 when not), got to Shea by 5:30, parked in the main lot and went to sleep.

Woke up at 7 to meet Reissberg. But where were Nails and The Concierge? They had train problems and were delayed by 30 minutes. That meant 3 more beers for each of them. The Concierge was out of control screaming.

After Reyes homered, the Concierge knocked a beer out of Nails' hands. The beer cup landed flat, but the beer splashed everywhere.

Things continued at this level of hyperactivity until the 7th inning. I did something I never do, and it set off a chain reaction of events. When Mota was coming in to face Duncan I dashed to the bathroom. I got in and out of the pisser quickly and was in the aisle right when the Mets turned 2. The Concierge was so pumped up he sprinted up the stairs and into our row. For some reason, he decided to run on the seats of the chairs of the row in front of us. He took a bad step on the end of a chair, and it collapsed. His leg was trapped. About five people tried to yank him up but he curled into a little ball. I thought he was really hurt, but he emerged, holding his shoe in one hand.

When we got back to our seats we noticed there was considerable bruisin' and swellin'. The Concierge was so not gellin'. Nails went to get him ice, but was refused by the ice nazis who wanted to make him pay for the cup.

At some point during all this, The Concierge also broke his chair.

When Lo Duca singled in the bottom of the inning I think his pain went away, because we all went nuts. We spent the last two innings on pins and needles until Wagner got the last out. We were huddled together hoping we could somehow help Wagner not suck so much. The crowd on the way out was awesome. People were hugging and high fiving and honking their horns. A great spectacle.

I was proud to be there.

No comments: