Thursday, May 03, 2007

What Are They Nuts?

When you go to a baseball game you expect to see two things in the stands: people drinking beer and people eating peanuts.
To my knowledge pretty much every stadium has at least one alcohol free section. Anyone who has ever had their enjoyment of a game lessened by a drunk asshole seated nearby or next to them as was the case with me and the Concierge during Game 6 of the NLCS can understand why some people might opt for booze-free seating, especially those with children. What can I say, I'm growing old.

Now there will be a peanut-free section at Minnesota Twins game. A lot has changed since we were kids and if you are not aware somehow peanut allergies have become a huge thing and a lot of kids are so severely allergic they could die just by being in the same room as someone eating peanuts. There are apparently nut-free lunchrooms in every school. Every food you buy says "caution: may contain nuts." As someone with a peanut allergy (though evidently not very severe because I enjoy peanut M&Ms), I can understand the abundance of caution. It's probably not a good idea to wait until a kid dies to institute these changes.

No comments: