Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Bobby Knight Retires

Texas Tech coach Bob Knight (he hates Bobby) abruptly resigned during the middle of the season. He leaves his son Pat in charge. Pat told reporters that his father was just tired. Knight had coached for 42 years, won 902 games and at age 67 was tired.
I've always been ambivalent about Bob Knight. I like the fact that he is a good coach, he never had a recruiting violation, he had very high graduation rates and he always said funny things.
But what I didn't like about him was that he abused one of my favorite tenets of interpersonal relationships, tough love.
Knight also reached a certain status where he felt it was beneath him to treat people with dignity and respect.
But he is funny. Enjoy these top 10 Bob Knight soundbites, though my favorite one is missing because I don't think it was caught on tape.
He once told a group of sportswriters "Most of us learn to write in the second grade, then we move on to other things."

No comments: