Thursday, April 10, 2008

First Time, Long Time

SNY tried out a new idea for a couple of spring training broadcasts, the announcers taking calls in the booth.
Generally, I'm not a stick in the mud when it comes to change and I like trying new things but because I have such a low opinion of fans I doubt that this would add anything to my enjoyment of the game.
I also worry about this segment becoming sponsored and therefore required to be in a certain amount of games at certain times, possibly even close games.
And if it were only used in blowouts the only people likely to call in are idiots in love with the sound of their own voice or pranksters who want to tell Ron Darling "I want to slap your butt cheeks."
According to Bob Raissman, Keith Hernandez is not happy with the idea either:

"You want to do this in a 5-4 game with the bases loaded and a 3-2 count on some hitter? Do you want to do it then?" Hernandez said. "That would get in the way (of the game). You don't want to do anything to interfere with a game that's remotely up in the air. ... (But) it's not going to be my decision to make whether we (take calls) during a game."

No comments: