Monday, August 04, 2008

Happy Birthday To My Car

Seven years ago, I went to the dealership and picked up my first car.
Seven years and 55,000 miles later, we've been through a lot together, marriage, parenthood, 2 apartments and a house, and through it all you've been there. You welcomed Mrs. Poop (even though she spills Snapple on you), Diesel (even though he gets his hair all over you) and even Chase (he hasn't done much to you yet but probably someday he'll poop inside a makeshift potty in the back of you) without ever once complaining.
There have been doubters (J-Slinn said I wouldn't still love you when I was 30, but I do) but you never had any doubts.
From the time I saw you from the top of a roller coaster at Great Adventure to the time an icy road almost killed us both, you've always been there for me.
And like these pictures indicate, through the best times, you've always been content to stand in the background.
Well, Mello Yello, on your 7th birthday I want to say this to you, "It might have appeared to go unnoticed, but I've got it all here in my heart. I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it. I would be nothing without you."

Mello Yello drove us home from our wedding
Mello Yello watches over Chase

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The top of the roller coaster viewing was awesome, and funny. I'm glad to have shared in that Mello Yello moment. If J-Slinn were here, she'd say "Mitch from Baywatch called, and he wants his truck back"

Scott said...

You clearly do not drive much... wish I could say the same. 18 months in and I'm already at 22K

Anonymous said...

Paul,

What is your average daily miles driven over the life of the car?

Paul said...

FatScat,
If you want to remain anonymous don't pose questions only TallSkott would ask.
Seven years times 365 days = 2555 days plus 2 extra days for leap year in 2004 and 2008, brings our total to 2557.
Divided into 54,751, means I've driven an average of 21.4 miles a day.
But the mileage was kept down by several years of taking public transportation to work.
Now that I drive into the city everyday (at a distance of almost exactly 40 miles round trip), that daily average will continue to rise.

Anonymous said...

I call BS- I think you rolled back the odometer and are looking to sell it.