Saturday, October 11, 2008

Weekly Picks

Finally got that big breakthrough week but could have been perfect. I didn't have Dallas originally, I had Buffalo, but as I was writing it I changed my mind to the Cardinals, but decided if I was that uncertain I should find a different game. So it was that indecision which led me to pick the Cowboys over the Bengals. Hopefully this week I can keep the string of best bets going. And I'm going to employ a different strategy this week. I've picked favorites 68% of the time, this week I'm going with four underdogs.

cincinnati +6 NEW YORK JETS
The Bengals are winless but have played a couple good games in a row. I'm not a big believer in the Jets and Brett Favre and I think the Bengals could win this game or at least keep it close.

detroit +13 MINNESOTA
The Vikings are coming off a big win on Monday night and I never like teams coming off Monday night wins. The Vikings really aren't that good, and this is a lot of points to lay with an average team, even though they are playing one of the worst teams in the league. The Lions should have enough offense to avoid their second straight division embarrassment.

miami +3 HOUSTON
The Dolphins are the better team here, plain and simple. I don't quite understand why they are underdogs, even on the road. This is not last season anymore. But sometimes when the spread doesn't seem right you're stepping into a trap. But I really think the Texans suck and the Dolphins Wildcat offense will help them put some points on the board.

ARIZONA +5 dallas
I don't think the Cowboys are as good as we may have all thought. The Cardinals have enough offense to keep pace with the Cowboys and at home getting five points, I like them to keep it close.

BEST BET
NEW ORLEANS -7 1/2 oakland

The Saints are coming off a big loss Monday night and are starting to get pretty desperate. The Raiders are still dealing with the Lane Kiffin mess. I'm not sure if they'll be able to shake it off, or if they'll be crippled by this unusual and awkwardly timed coaching change. The problem here is that Oakland's defense is pretty good. So if the Raiders can put 17 points on the board it might be enough to cover the spread.

Last week: 4-1 (5 points - 19 total)
Best Bets: 1-0 (5-0)
Home Favorites: 2-1 (5-5)
Home Underdogs: 0-0 (1-0)
Road Favorites: 2-0 (6-1)
Road Underdogs: 0-0 (2-4)
Road Pickems: 0-0 (0-1)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the Bengals have a chance with a backup quarterback who coughed up the ball five times his last start. This will be ugle.

Anonymous said...

Paul, you are a hater. What's your beef with the Jets?

Paul said...

Relax guys, I don't hate the Jets, I just don't think they're very good. Plus I said this week I'm going with a bunch of underdogs that no one is giving a chance. Two of them have injured quarterbacks, but we've seen backups come in and do well so far this season. I'm not expecting to get all 4 underdogs right, I'm expecting 2 and hoping for three.

Anonymous said...

I think you're wrong about that Pauly. Not to start a war here, but I'd pit them against the Redskins any day of the week, and I think you feel Washington is a good club.

Heart attack today against the Rams, huh? Lucky for you they can practically walk into a 7-1 record, but not if they play like they did today.

Anonymous said...

Whoops, I didn't realize St. Louis came back. I didn't post that to pour salt in the wound. Sorry buddy.

My point before is simply that with each week all these new Jet additions(primarily Favre) are getting more comfortable with the offense. They have great special teams with human joystick Leon Washgington, versatile catch and run receivers in Cotch and Coles, and a decent bruiser at RB in Thomas Jones. Leon spells him and is great with the screen pass. They have a nice O-Line. They have a couple great defenders up front, and Revis is becoming one of the better corners in the league. With each week you should see this club get better and better and they have a soft schedule like your guys in Washington.

I think we'll see both clubs in the playoffs.

Paul said...

You watched that Jet game and feel confident about your team? Brett Favre is terrible. He turns the ball over all the time.

I was one garbage touchdown away from a perfect week so I guess my gambling strategy worked out.

Anonymous said...

Favre didn't have a good game, but these scrappy Bengals aren't all that bad of a team either, almost beating the Giants and Cowboys.

As far as I'm concerned, they manhandled them 26-7, however. The opening kickoff for a td is the only thing that makes this even look like a contest.

When you can play poorly and still dominate your opponent(they did defensively, on special teams, and with the running game) then it's not all that bad. Like the Skins, Jets have the soft part of their schedule coming up. Here's to hoping they can take advantage of it.

Btw, don't Mets and Jets go together? Paul, what happened here? Where were you when the rules of NY fandom were being handed out? It's either the above mentioned combo or Yankees/Giants.