Friday, March 19, 2010

NCAA Tournament Thoughts: Early Friday

Not an inspiring early set of games.

West Virginia looked to be in trouble for a few minutes, ok a few seconds. Down 10-0 they went on a 73-33 run. Finally a Big East team not crapping its pants.

Xavier beats Minnesota, not much notable in this game except Jordan Crawford going off. He's the guy who dunk on LeBron over the summer and Nike confiscated the video making it a much bigger deal than it would have been. The video is poor quality, you can't even tell who it is, and it's basketball. Everyone who tries on defense gets dunked on every once in a while.



Even the best game wasn't a good game. Cornell absolutely shot the lights out to beat Temple. I believe that makes 25 out of 26 years of a 64-team field with a 12-5 upset. So far I am 0-2 in those game this year with Utah State and Michigan State remaining. Ryan Wittman was great, love those white guys. Can definitely see them winning again and heading to the Sweet 16. Yes, I say that even though I didn't think they were going to beat Temple because Wisconsin is a better matchup for them.

I feel kind of bad for Jems. Poor guy really wants Siena to become the Gonzaga of the East. They didn't play bad, I just think even without Hummel Purdue has more talent. I can't crow too much about this one because Cornell did pull of the upset.

Wisconsin survived! They are such an interesting team. They beat a lot of superior teams but often struggle against worse teams. And when a team does that they normally are a talented bunch who play without discipline and don't take opponents seriously. In Wisconsin's case they frustrate good teams but can't put away bad ones. They could be in for a shock when they play Cornell. The Big Red could be our Cinderella.

Apparently the only highlight of this Pittsburgh-Oakland game was a vicious bloody cut. I didn't see it but I am glad the Big East is bringing the pain a little more today and I hope Louisville and of course Syracuse continue the rejuvenation.

Missouri beats Clemson in one of the best track meets of the tournament so far. Oliver Purnell is the worst coach ever and Mike Anderson is really good. We should have seen this coming.

The only reason this game pissed me off is because it was Tigers vs. Tigers. I thought the only 1st round matchups of teams with the same nickname would be Utah State vs. Texas A&M. What the fuck is an Aggie anyway?

I've been saving that observation since Selection Sunday and I should make it a separate post since no one is reading these Tournament thoughts things I'm posting. So it's really just an exercise in narcissism, but since the entire blog is, I guess I shouldn't be bothered.

I'll start tonight's observations with Aggies vs. Aggies.

3 comments:

Jems said...

You were half right about Purdue. I didn't realize their defense was that good. But, missing Clarence Jackson was huge for Siena. Downey played so poorly most of the game that it was 5 on 4. Except for that run to start the 2nd half Siena outplayed them for most of the game. At the very least you can see how much heart they have. They made it a good game with a few minutes to go before that bricked free throw on the 1 and 1 somehow went in.

Oh well, 2 NCAA victories and 3 straight appearances will have to suffice. It's the best team in MACC history, and I'm proud of that. Next year will begin the rebuilding. I just hope McCaffrey doesn't leave because he is a hell of a coach!

Reissberg said...

Interesting fact/trivia about Cornell -- they have 4 losses this year -- 2 to teams that are #1 seeds in this tournament, one to one of the worst teams in the country (Penn). Name the other. (Hint: the Concierge and Nails should know this.)

Paul said...

Nails brought this up many times when discussing Seton Hall's tournament resume.