Thursday, March 18, 2010

NCAA Tournament Thoughts: Early Thursday

Anyone who was at work and missed these three games missed a whole lot.

Notre Dame's season was so interesting. They were good with Harangody, then good without him because they switched from an uptempo to a slowdown style. But they had some difficulty working Harangody back in. He scored only two baskets both at the end of the game off missed 3s Notre Dame really needed.

Jimmer Fredette is the breakout star of the first round. Yes he had 10 extra minutes to get his 37 points but he hit a couple of big-time "onions!" 3s in overtime.

Too bad Kenny Boynton fouled out, they were locked in a pretty good duel until them.

You think Jay Wright wishes he'd chosen another way to make his "minor teaching point?" I have no idea what that means. Either they did something serious and Wright is covering it up, or Wright made a huge mistake by underestimating Robert Morris.

Maybe they broke curfew because once the game started it looked like Reynolds was a little sleep-deprived. But he did hit a huge shot to help them win the game.

It just proves why upsets are so hard. The better teams have bigger guys, two Nova players stuffed an RMU guy on the way to the hoop. Eventually talent wins out -- most of the time.

It just keeps getting better. Murray State, incredible shot. Vanderbilt did everything right there, they switched screens were right in his face forced a pass, then forced the shooter away from the basket. Danero Thomas just hit a great shot.

Danero is money!!!!!!

Ay que lastima.

I know the Law of Independent Trials says this game has no impact on the Siena-Purdue game but two 13s have never won in the same year.

Baylor got a scare. Considering I banked my entire bracket on them I'm more than a little worried but they get an easy draw with Old Dominion beating Notre Dame. And they might catch another break.

I am now convinced St. Mary's will beat Villanova. I feel like every year I pick the right number two seed to lose in the first round, but I always pick the wrong team to beat them. My most vivid recollection of this is when Anfernee Hardaway and Memphis (nee Memphis State) beat Seton Hall, I had expected Western Kentucky to do it. Anyway, if I'm right Baylor doesn't play a single-digit seed until possibly Duke in the regional Final.

St. Mary's had the better inside player and Richmond couldn't match up.

Kansas State dominating North Texas in our first blowout of the tournament.

And the last game of our early session is another blowout. UTEP was actually leading by 6 in the second half, but Butler went on a 28-6 run to put this game away. There goes one of my 12-5 upsets, but I still have Utah State over Texas A&M.

2 comments:

Terry Dehere said...

Wasn't I on that Seton Hall team?

Paul said...

Yes you were.

That was 1993, but I wrote it wrong, I picked Anfernee Hardaway, it was Western Kentucky that beat Seton Hall to advance to the Sweet 16.