Monday, April 05, 2010

Idol Chatter

Two big reasons this will be the last good season of American Idol: the talent pool is thin and getting thinner, and Simon is leaving.

Even though I don’t think the talent is as bad as most people say (there are always good people and always bad people) the perception is out there, and with some of the horror shows still left I know why people are thinking that way.

As for Simon, I still cannot stand his inside jokes (leaning on Kara, bickering with Ryan) and insist they aren’t funny to anyone else but him. But I do admit he makes the show in the earlier audition rounds. You can’t have some guy squeal and screech his way through “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and have four judges look at him and say “oh sorry honey.” You need an obnoxious jerk. I’m sure they’ll get someone to fill that role, but I’m sure that someone won’t be as good as Simon at it.

What I would like to see next year is basically getting rid of the judges once we get to Top 12. Face it, they never have anything constructive to say. When someone sings a song too close the original they say “take risks” or “make it your own.” When they change it up the judges say “you didn’t need to do that.” And half the time they are not making sense, like when Kara’s lips are moving.

Of all the weeks I should have loved this one, I mean R&B/Soul with Usher as the mentor, that’s a recipe for Poop happiness, but I was underwhelmed for several reasons.

First of all Usher’s performance on results night was kind of weird and I didn’t even love Ruben Studdard.

Also, the choices of songs were a little off “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted” is a great song but not when sung by a whiny narrow-assed white girl. I still have no idea why Didi was crying. Why was this song so personal to her? And why bring it up then not explain. I have never been happier to see the most attractive female contestant get the boot. I don’t even think she’s that hot, I think it was a version of press-box hot because the other girls are Crystal and Siobhan.

Tim Urban on Anita Baker’s “Sweet Love?” Aaron Kelly on “Ain’t No Sunshine?” Katie Stevens singing “Chain of Fools?” Totally did not fit.

And as much I love Mike Lynche and India.Arie I didn’t think “Ready for Love” was the right song for American Idol. You should pick songs people know and usually up-tempo songs to get the crowd involved. A great song to listen to, but not a great song to sing in front of thousands of people.

He should have taken a hint from Casey James who picked a perfect song in Sam and Dave’s “Hold On, I’m Coming.”

My second favorite moment of the night was when Chase yelled out “I have to pee” and took off for the bathroom and I yelled back “Hold On, I’m Coming.”

My favorite moment though was Crystal Bowersox’s performance of “Midnight Train to Georgia.” I honestly think it was the best performance at this stage of the competition in the history of American Idol. I love that she did it a little differently than Gladys, I love that she had her version of the Pips and I love that she looked like a normal person for once. I really thought it was awesome and I really wouldn’t have a problem if any of the trio of Crystal, Lee and Mike won the whole thing, just so long as it’s not that weirdo Siobhan.

My least favorite moment was when they showed Justin Bieber in the audience. I had been taking great pains to avoid ever seeing him or hearing his songs. Until that moment I had never seen him, thankfully I've still never heard him.

I wish I could say the same about Puffy Daddy, I mean P.Diddy, I mean Diddy, I mean Diddy Dirty Money, what the fuck is that? I have always said that guy sucked, and now everyone has to agree.

4 comments:

RZR said...

This is BY FAR the worst season of Idol ever. I stopped watching a few weeks back.

Jems said...

No mention of Andrew Garcia's acoustic Forever? I don't see him as a contender and he was really bad in recent weeks, but that performance was awesome!

Paul said...

Upon further review yeah that version of Forever was pretty dope.

But I guess I am still holding Godfather III against Andy Garcia.

I also am not really a big fan of Chris Brown.

Razor, you may be smart to stop watching now and avoid the rush, but Mrs. Poop and I usually like to stick with shows until the bitter end. Who knows maybe it will do a complete 180 next season with a new snarky judge.

RZR said...

It will do a complete 360. I used to stick with shows to the bitter end, but just don't have the patience or desire anymore. Besides AI, I've also stopped watching America's Next Top Model and Survivor. Desperate Housewives is next on the list. I have so much more free time now that I've rid myself of those shows.