Monday, April 05, 2010

Should I Pre-Order My Jersey Now?

The Redskins finally have a quarterback I can root for. Not since Heath Shuler have I been this excited about a Redskins QB. They gave up only a 2nd round pick this year and a conditional 3rd or 4th next year.

Normally I would be against a bad team acquiring an old quarterback but McNabb only has 1 year left on his contract (at $11.2m) and there is no cap and likely no season the following year so the commitment to him is minimal. That said, I hope they don't sign him to a big extension, which I don't think they will because of the labor uncertainty beyond this year.

It brings up an old question: if your team is not good enough to win the Super Bowl (World Series, NBA title) should you still look to acquire talent to get better now? Is it worth the price to get McNabb to make us into an 8-8 team? Normally I would say no, but for Donovan I am willing to make an exception. Would you rather lose with guys you like than with guys you hate?

My only worry is that Donovan will get killed behind a very weak offensive line. I also wonder what the Redskins will do now with the 4th pick in the draft. There are three top players (Bradford, Suh and McCoy) putting the Skins in a tough position. I think they may draft Jimmy Claussen and let him learn behind Donovan for a year.

If ever a team deserved to be cursed by a certain player it would be the Eagles after their fans’ horrible treatment of McNabb. They booed him the minute he was drafted and spent the next 12 years trying to convince themselves he sucked so they would be right. I hope they never win another game. At the very least if the Redskins go 2-14 this year I hope they win the two against the Eagles.

got this e-mail from the Redskins today

1 comment:

T.O. said...

does the Jersey come with replica vomit stains on it.