Monday, November 29, 2010

Don't Call Him Shirley

There's not enough I could say to adequately express how much I love Leslie Nielsen who died yesterday at the age of 84 due to complications from pneumonia. Airplane and The Naked Gun are two of my favorite movies and it was his understated delivery that turned him into such a great comedic actor late in his career. He never really told any jokes. He just delivered his lines as inappropriately and ironically as possible. Like this one, the Leslie Nielsen classic that is being repeated most often today:



Here's another simple classic from Naked Gun:



The newspaper Frank Drebin was reading (I believe in Naked Gun 2 1/2) is another great example of the kind of understated comedy Nielsen thrived on.

3 comments:

ton said...

I just ran into this one today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRva7z8pvwc

Damn good stuff

Bill said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Paul said...

that is hysterical TON