Thursday, March 30, 2006

SCZA's Fantasy

Last night (when I should have been in bed) I spent an hour listening (thanks to the internet) to the Fantasy Fix on ESPN890 in Boston. The show focuses on fantasy sports, obviously baseball, but hoping to move to football in the fall. It is hosted by Bob Halloran and Scott Isaacs.
The first caller was "Mike from Waltham" actually Shawn, posing for some reason.
The first e-mailer was Paul from Jersey. Scott read my comment ("you guys are agreeing too much") on air, but I really intended my critique for him personally. My point was this, the conversation went to Scott taking David Wright 7th in their fantasy league. Bob asked how high he'd have gone. Scott said fourth (after Pujols, A-Rod and maybe Santana). Bob should have challenged him on that point. Here is the argument to be made against taking Wright 4th.
1) Scott is a homer, Met fan.
2) Third base is actually a pretty strong and deep position. You have A-Rod and Miguel Cabrera (if he's eligible) who are both better than Wright. Then you have the second tier of Chavez, Ensberg, Ramirez and Blalock. You also have injury risks Rolen, Chipper and Glaus. And Chone Figgins could be a good pickup for steals. Including Wright that's 11 decent third basemen.
3) The Mets are a jinxed franchise.
4) The Mets play in a pitcher's park and it's been a while since a Mets offensive player was a top producer.
5) David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez will both hit for a higher average and both will probably get 10 HR and 25 RBI more than Wright.

And that last one is really my key point, because it's a Boston show, and a comment/argument like that Ramirez or Ortiz vs. Wright would really encourage callers.
But I enjoyed the show and will listen regularly. I would have had it blaring from the computer so I could have heard while I fell asleep (and I would have heard Shawn's call) but Kate's friend and her 2-month old son are staying with us, and it's very important not to wake the baby.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Thanks for the critique Paul. Being my first time on radio (in Boston no less), we did OK, but it could have been much better. You raise a good point about how we should have approached the David Wright argument (really, who's right or wrong doesn't matter in that case). I will mention it to Bob tonight. I plan on starting a blog for the show where Bob and I will post a thought for listeners to chim in on with their opinions. Hopefully that will increase participation in the show... I don't think anyone knew we were even on last night.

Brian said...

Vlad Guerrero at 4 is a better pick than David Wright at 4....

Especially considering I got Chavez about 6 rounds in, and Blalock to back him up about 5 rounds after that.

Mike said...

I will listen next week. I like when people debate on the radio. I hate when they debate when you clearly see that one person is disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.