Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Don't Cry Over Spilled Cocktail Sauce

The other night my parents took us to Legal's Sea Foods for Kate's birthday. Kate and I were seated with our backs to the bar. About five minutes after we sit down a tray of ice (that once housed shrimp) with a dish of cocktail sauce in the middle, fell off the bar. Cocktail sauce was everywhere. Kate went to the bathroom to get it out of her shirt. A waitress came by with club soda and wiped it off Kate's purse. The manager and a couple other people came over to apologize. But we didn't make a big deal out of it. A little while later the girl who knocked over the tray came over to apologize and said "I know I startled you more than anything else." We didn't deem it necessary to tell her, actually you got it all over me.
After dinner, I went in the bathroom to wash my hands when I noticed a couple spots on my shoulders. When I returned to the table we discovered that I too, had been hit by the flying cocktail sauce. How could the waiter not have seen this? All the people who walked behind me and none of them saw the little red spots all over my back? Surely the manager would tell the waiter to take something off our bill. He didn't.
The worst part was, an elderly couple was complaining that the sun was shining right in his eyes and could they lower the blinds. They gave them a free dessert.
If you want something free at a restaurant, complain.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Three Jews and a convert and not one person kvetched? I find that hard to believe.

Mike said...

Are you allowed to "kvetch" when eating seafood?

Anonymous said...

How the hell do you not demand reparations? At least take car of the dry cleaning.

Paul said...

heres why i didnt make a big stink at the restaurant:
we dont really deserve anything
we behaved as normal people should
the clothes werent ruined, we took them home and washed em
if I complain looking for free stuff aren't I as bad as the elderly couple?

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous. You should demand restitution for your meal. You bargained for a fair price for the meal served, you did not bargain for a cocktail sauce shower. Albeit the stains were able to be removed, they do not owe you money for the clothes. The question is how much is your meal worth had you known that your nice clothes would be dosed in cocktail sauce during the meal.

Mike said...

Restitution is a funny word. Shannon Sharpe loved restitution.